Below is a list of possible ideas (including long-term, pie-in-the-sky ones). For an overview of the main planned features, please look at the Milestones page. If you want to work on any of these items, please contact us, so that we don't have several people working on the same thing.
The ideas listed here are all long-term goals and require quite some work. So if you're willing to work on one of these, then that's really great, but you'll find easier task that require less work at our bug tracker.
Note that many items on this page are brainstorming, so make sure to have a chat with us before starting to work on anything
- Add testing
- High scores should be shared between different users on a machine, e.g. /var/games
- There are some problems with this approach (e.g. access to highscore files must be locked), so it's not as trivial as only changing the location of the highscore files.
- Improve the save Grand Prix (ask if it should be saved, show saved, ...)
- Per-kart sounds: support for them is coded (partially), but not enabled because we don't have good sounds for the various karts
- Online Highscores
- This is obviously nice to have, but implementing this might be a bit of an effort: error handling must be good, and we have to make sure that people don't cheat by running a customised version of STK. Most likley, we would use the replay feature: a highscore would be submitted with the replay file so that everybody sees what happened. People could download a highscore run and race against a ghost
- Currently, blender is used to create the tracks. During Google summer of Code 2014 elath has written a new track editor. You can view the current state at GitHub.
3D Visual Art
- Add more karts and/or improve existing ones
- Depending on performance impact: we might add a 'high quality' option in the menu, so that people with a lower end computer can use the lower quality karts.
- Add more tracks and/or improve existing ones. See Style Guidelines and Track Maker's Guide
Support for Profiles
It would be nice if different profiles could be supported. I.e. the user can select a profile at the beginning of STK, and gets all settings, challenge progress, key bindings etc for this profile. This can be useful e.g. to have one profile which has unlocked all challenges, one profile for optimising challenge points, or one for friends, guests, perhaps one for multi-player (different key bindings) ... There is some thinking necessary on where to store the profile:
- either a shared directory (which means that all users having access to that shared area would be able to use all profiles), or
- in $HOME (which means that you can't simply load an existing profile if you are using a different user id).
The current preference is the first approach, though there are some things to be aware of (e.g. prevent different user from using the same profile at the same time, might need file locking, ...).
That would be a nice, 'professional' feature to have. Note that this isn't necessary on linux.
(This is brainstorming, talk to us before trying to implement anything!)
While this is already listed on the somewhat optimistic Milestones page, the concept of this is quite different from a normal racing game (e.g. the AI would need to be aware of other goals, ...).
- Someone on the forum suggested a game mode where there is a "leader" that drops goodies and baddies; and the goal would be to catch as many goodies while avoiding the baddies
Some eye/ear candy could include:
- voice (e.g. count down, important messages)
- Perhaps a 'fly over' for each track, a voice over could give some kind of commentary about the track (obviously the player must be able to skip this).
- have some nice 'end of race' and/or 'end of grand prix' animation - e.g.:
- a camera might show what the other karts are doing
- highlights of the race might be replayed (nice challenge: how to identify exciting bits of a race)