This mode is largely based upon the adventure modes of Diddy Kong Racing and Crash Team Racing, so having played these games may help understand
Story mode would replace the current challenges screen with something nicer and add a little storyline to make challenges more interesting.
We first add a first initial screen where players select their identity, then everyone can have their own progression.
It then all starts with a "story mode" button on the main menu.
If they select to start a new game, they are asked to select their identity from the list of players and to choose a kart.
Difficulty handling : I can think of 2 ways
- Selecting a difficulty is asked at first in the menu. If you finish the story mode at "easy" you can start a new game at "medium" and so on and so forth.
- Each challenge has a few levels. Depending on your score you get a bronze medal, silver medal or golden medal. Then in the end depending on what level you got you will finish the game at some level.
- This is perhaps more flexible but then we need to decide how to calculate which level the player got when the game is finished.
- The problem with this is that atm each level of difficulty features different AIs and different speeds, so in short this is kind of not possible unless we get AIs that adapt to your skill
- Joerg suggests that each challenge, when you start it, asks you for the difficulty. To mitigate the annoyance of being asked everytime by selecting the user's "favorite" difficulty by default. You would get more points by solving challenges at hard, and you could only finish the game with all points by driving at hard.
- I (Auria) propose a different ending or some other bonus for solving things as hard
After that, a very brief introduction is played with a simple storyline being introduced Some running story ideas include :
- The Gnu was captured by Nolok and the others need to beat Nolok to free the Gnu (and when you're done you "unlock" the special karts that Gnu and Nolok are)
- Aditionally the Gnu could use his awesome meditation powers to do an astral projection from his jail and give the tutorial ;) or just his magic lamp
- There is a contest where the best racer will get a special kart. And Nolok wants to enter the contest to get the special kart to conquer the world. The others need to learn to race to beat him.
- The special kart could be a flying carpet, so when the players win it, Nolok is very disappointed and Gnu puts it to good use ;)
- Maybe a combination of both! Gnu was captured in Nolok's flying castle, so the others need to win the contest to get a special kart and then go free Gnu
- Current favorite : Nolok has captured GNU, and since he's rather cocky, he says that if you manage to win his contest, you get to free GNU. When you eventually do, he doesn't honor his promise (no self-respecting crook would ever do that), and thus you have to beat him (somehow capture him maybe) before you can free GNU. Thus, by freeing GNU and capturing Nolok, you get to control both :)
- If we get AI capable of battle mode: at the end of the story, you chase after Nolok to get the key for GNU's cage, and you corner him, but he doesn't want to give it away peacefully, so you need to battle him and defeat him. This could unlock single-player battle mode as well as karts GNU and Nolok (multiplayer battle mode should not be locked).
- Suggested intro lines : "What's wrong, little hippies? Your great gnu leader is missing? Oh yes, see, he's in my castle now and will be served for supper... But I'm a fair creature, so I'll make you a deal. If you can beat me at racing, I will free the old codger. But you pathetic little twerps will *never* be able to beat me - King of the Karts! Mwahahaha"
- Tous les personnages vivent dans un village dans la forêt. Chaque personnage vit dans sa maison c'est à dire un garage. Et un jour, Tux, le chef du village organise une compétition et le récompense de celle ci est un garage tout neuf et luxueux. Beastie va user de son cerveau diabolique pour gagner la course.
After the intro, and maybe tutorial, the player is placed in an overworld, located in the STK fictional universe
As you can see, tracks are grouped by theme and also by difficulty (easier tracks are closer to the start)
I propose to have 2 challenges for each track, AND a challenge for each GP. Then in the end one challenge to beat Nolok.
- One where you simply need to win a normal race.
- A second where you need to do something special, like collect nitro, play follow-the-leader, and hopefully we can get more variety in this department too with more challenge types
The GPs would be :
Whether to do it in 2D or 3D is to be decided. I would prefer 3D but then we need someone to make it, and it's harder to update when things change.
Or we could have a kind of cinema: each door has a poster (e.g. with screenshots of the 3-4 tracks or so), and a rating, like G, PG, - better perhaps: 3+, 5+, ... (3 year old, ...) ).
Or you need a license to be allowed to enter the next section of tracks (so you would have to finish the easy selection first, and you could get this license after 3 out of 4 challenges, or a certain number of points).
Perhaps we should also consider that the 'doors' (or whatever) don't hide a track, but a challenge - so you could (potentially) have the same track twice with different challenges - either from one area, or even in various areas. That might actually be less boring (it's 40 degrees outside, and I have to finish 4 snow tracks today).
I still have the idea of automatically creating the overworld. E.g. the player could drive into a castle (intro sequence, explaining the player is searching for the superkart/missing princess/...). You find a long corridor with doors, most of them locked. Behind each door is a round room with 3-5 doors leading to different challenges (as noted above). If you get enough points (or solve enough challenges, ...) in the challenges of one room, a wise 'jinn' (ghost out of a bottle) appears, telling the player that the next door can be reached. Perhaps the player is trying to reach fulfillment ... in form of a super kart ;) This kind of scenario could easily be extended, by just adding more doors. This would allow us to package up STK addons by combining a few new tracks with some challenge specification, and just make the corridor longer. [/hiker]
At the start of the world would be the garage. The player starts there, and could come back there to change kart.
There would be spots on the overworld where a challenge can be played. At first only a handful of them would be available, and not all areas of the overworld may be available at all. How to determine which challenges can be played is open to discussion. Ideas :
- A strict linear structure like in the supertux overworld. Disadvantage of this is that the player must play the levels in one specific order or, if we allow different paths, the player doesn't need to play all challenges.
- Maybe a variant could be something like a supertux overworld but with "join" areas, where you need to complete all paths leading there before you can continue. Not sure how to present that to the player.
- A points system. When you complete a challenge you get some points, and in the overworld there are doors that require a certain amount of points to go through.
- A key system. When you complete a challenge you get a key to open a door somewhere in the overworld.
We need more challenges. In the end the player should have played all tracks and all GPs.
There is no intent to support add-ons on the overworld. Add-ons would remain available for single races.