Here a list of the planned features for the next upcoming releases. Developers, add a feature to a milestone only if you plan on working on it yourselves, and remember to discuss it first on irc or the mailing list.
Note that the list and the items are subject to change. They certainly depend on what contributions we get from new developers. For example, if we get a patch for a feature planned for a later milestones, we will certainly include it earlier.
Currently Planned Milestones
- Merge the 3 GSoC branch (new graphical pipeline, network lobby and network core).
- Significant graphical improvements.
- Tracks need to be redesigned/improved, and it's unlikely that all tracks will be improved initially.
- Vote for addons (http://stkaddons.net/).
- This will actually be the basis for online multiplayer, since it will handle logging into a server etc.
- Perhaps start adding some kind of 'friend' support - you could get a notification if a friend is online.
- Different physics for different karts - this will depend on contributions from the community
- Game replay
- Race against a ghost/pre-recorded race (depends on replay mode)
- Note that this depends on finalising the physics: game replay should use extrapolation to reduce the file size, and this would depend on the physics.
- Online highscore lists - collect suggestions/comments on a separate page. This will need game replay, since the top 20 (or so) entries will have their replay saved, so that people can race against saved highscores and verify the correctness of an entry.
- Multiplayer network support for LAN environments.
- Mini games (besides normal racing mode), e.g.:
- Pacman mode: karts must collect a certain number of coins (or something else on the road), while being chased by ghost karts
- Multiplayer network support for WAN environments
- AI for battle mode
- I am more than happy to add this earlier, if someone implements it ;)
- Polish up :)
- Bug fix release
- New items
- Objects that emit sounds when you get near them (e.g. space shuttle in city track could make a humming sound if you get close enough; there are better examples)
- Performance improvements using LOD
- Improve physics
- Update to latest Bullet (physics engine) (there was another update, no need to apply this as well at this stage)
- Skidding : by setting friction = 0 and applying the torque, the feeling is quite good; so we just need to tweak and test this further... - implementation is actually different, but:
- Better bumping of karts into each other (push karts aside)
- Use reverse tracks as a unlockable feature?
- Career mode (replacing/evolved version of challanges) and/or different difficulties for challenges
- Eye candy