Kart resources index
Last update july 8th 2011
This page is the index of resources about making karts for STK.
Guidelines & tutorials
- Kart tutorial
- Kart shadow tutorial,
- Guidelines for making karts and characters,
- and the more general Style Guidelines
Blender resources and tutorials
Kart export checklist
Here is a short checklist that sum-up every important point viewed in the New kart tutorial.
- The kart's total triangle count is not above 3000 (approximately).
- Make sure mesh modifiers (mirror, subdivide, ...) are applied to the mesh objects.
- Make sure your objects are oriented correctly : when you hit Numpad 1 on blender, you should see the back of the kart.
- The kart should be located just above Y axis, as if it was the road (and to be clean centered on the Y and X axes).
- The dimensions of the kart are approximately between 0.7 and 1 (ingame tests are required to determine the final size).
- The rotation & scale of your objects must be reset.
- Texture files' dimensions are power of two (eg. 128x256, 512x512), and not too big (512x512 is usually fine).
- The armature bones have a 0 roll.
- Armature are parent of the mesh they animate (beware if you also use the "Armature" modifier, transformations may be applied twice to your mesh).
- The wheels objects must have the "type=wheel" game-logic property (the old style of naming the wheel objects "WheelFront.R" to "WheelRear.L" is still supported, but deprecated).
- You have an icon, ideally at least in 64x64 resolution.
- You have a shadow file.
To know how to export the kart, see Exporting karts.
If you have remarks or feedback about those resources, don't hesitate to post them on the forum, and if you see any mistakes please tell, or even correct them !